The Year That Was: 2006
Every time the new year rolls in, you can expect the newspapers and TV shows to come up with some sort of year-ender report. They talk about the major events in the past year and you will hear all sorts of forecasts for the coming year.
I try to do that too on a personal note. While the rest of the Philippines is busy with their fireworks and fire crackers, our family sets aside a few minutes to reflect on the year that was and to say a prayer of thanksgiving for all the blessings that we have received. So, what were the major things we remembered about 2006:
1. We vacationed at Panglao Island Nature Resort in Bohol in March 2006. We re-discovered again just how beautiful the Philippines is.
2. Adi started his T4K or his Trainer for Kids. This is supposed to correct the mis-alignment in his teeth and hopefully, prevent him from having to wear braces in the future. He has been on the T4K for more than 6 months now and it does make a difference. After a few months of use, you will already, actually, notice some improvement in teeth alignment.
3. Adi started Middle School while Ali started going to the "big school."
4. I lost 10 pounds and improved my cholesterol readings in 6 months. My cholesterol readings are normal now. I will be preparing for the next blood test come August 2007.
5. I started 6 more blogs.
6. I decided to leave my corporate job of 14 years and am now trying the life of a stay-at-home mom. It's different but it has significantly reduced my stress levels (how I've done this even as my pay has been reduced is a marvel in itself) and has allowed me to spend more time with the children and to enjoy life more.
2007 is proceeding nicely and come February 18, we will be celebrating the Chinese New Year -- when the Year of the Fire Boar will be ushered in. I pray (or should it be I know -- pray as if you have it?) that it will be a year of good health and plenty, not only for our family but for all, most especially for our viloria readers.
Whatever comes your way this year, pray and give thanks. You and I are alive and as I always say, that, in itself, is blessing enough.
I was listening to the radio (DZBB) the other day, and I overheard the anchor Arnold Clavio talking about a friend of his. His friend was dead tired and was quite sad. He asked his friend how he was doing and inquired why he looked that way. His friend replied by saying: "Pagod na pagod kasi ako dahil wala akong tulog." (I am so tired as I haven't had enough sleep.) To this Arnold, says: "Huwag kang malungkot kung wala kang tulog. Mas mahirap yung wala kang gising." (Don't be sad that you haven't had enough sleep. Sadder is when you are not able to wake up.)
Something is lost in the translation but if you happen to be reading this, you are alive and blessed. Have a great year ahead everybody. Manigong Bagong Taon sa bawat Pilipino. =)
[By Angelica Viloria | Monday, January 8, 2007]
Copyright © 2001-2015 by Angelica Bautista Viloria. All Rights Reserved.
Previous entry: "Philippine Daily Inquirer Subscription"
Next entry: "My Calendars for 2007"
"We Host at H4P because
H4P is affordable, reliable,
-- Angelica Viloria
About Angelica Viloria